Vice President at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Prof. Yang WANG took office as Vice-President for Institutional Advancement of the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) on October 1, 2020. He is also a Chair Professor of Mathematics. He joined the HKUST as the Head of the Department of Mathematics in 2014 and he became the Dean of School of Science in 2016.
Prof. Wang is an internationally respected scholar with wide ranging research interests, having published over 100 research journal papers in both pure and interdisciplinary mathematics, many of which in top journals. During his tenure as Dean of Science and Head of Mathematics, Prof. Wang founded the HKUST Big Data Institute and launched the popular Big Data Technology MSc program.
Prof. Wang received his Bachelor degree in Mathematics from the University of Science and Technology of China in 1983 and obtained his PhD degree in Mathematics from Harvard University in 1990. He started his academic career with the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1989 and then moved on to be the Department Chair and Professor of Mathematics at Michigan State University in 2007. He was also a Program Director at the National Science Foundation in the US between 2006 and 2007.
Areas of Responsibility
The Vice-President for Institutional Advancement (VPIA) is responsible for strengthening HKUST’s visibility, advancing our strategic partnerships, initiating fund-raising, further deepening our connections with alumni, and overseeing crisis management. He also plays a leading role in the establishment of the new Guangzhou campus and its talent recruitment.
Founding President at Asian Blockchain Society
Founding President of Asian Blockchain Society
- Visiting Professor of Zhejiang University
- Tencent(Shanghai) Incubation Center Mentor
Education: Chinese Academy of Social Sciences Ph.D. in Economics
- The first book about Bitcoin in Southeast Asia <Bitcoinis Changing the World> 2014
- The world's first wealth in heritance book introduces digital assets <Wealth Inheritance Decoding> 2017
- 2017 Hong Kong Blockchain Chief Spokesperson (Hong Kong Sing Tao Daily)
- 2018 Blockchain Outstanding Contribution Award (Hong Kong Blockchain International Finance Association)
- 2018 Blockchain Most Influential Winner (World Blockchain Investment Alliance)
- 2018 Asia-Pacific Excellence Fund Award (hosted by CCTV Finance Channeland Hong Kong Ta Kung Pao)
- Winners of Annual Outstanding Contributions at the New York World Blockchain Conference 2019 (World Blockchain Award)
- 2019 Blockchain Industry Outstanding Contribution Award (Ji Xianlin Foundation)
As a forerunner and evangelist in the Bitcoin and blockchain industry, Dr.Cheney Tsoi attended many blockchain seminars in famous universities worldwide (including: University of Cambridge, University of Toronto, The Chinese University of HongKong, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Tsinghua University, etc.).
He also served as a guest speaker at the Asia Financial Forum (AFF), frequently attended major summit forums, major TV stations and mainstream media. He has been committed to promoting the development of the digital economy in Asia for years.
Director of Market Development at BC Technology Group
Mr. Zhou was from Hong Kong Stock Exchange and Clearing Limited (HKEX) where he served as Senior Vice President of Global Client Development, with a focus on brokers, asset managers, asset owners and issuers. Over his more than 17-year career, he has also held positions at CSOP Asset Management, the Securities and Futures Commission, BlackRock and Merrill Lynch.